TAGSEamonn KellyLaois senior hurlersLaois v Westmeath Facebook Pinterest Five Laois monuments to receive almost €200,000 in government funding Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Ten Laois based players named on Leinster rugby U-18 girls squad By Siun Lennon – 6th May 2018 Home Sport GAA Laois manager says his side were beaten by ‘hungrier’ Westmeath SportGAAHurlingLaois Senior Hurling Team Facebook Council Rugby Brought to you in association with Hanlon KitchensAfter defeat in the first round of the Joe McDonagh cup against Westmeath, manager Eamonn Kelly hopes the Laois senior hurlers can pick themselves up for next week’s game against Kerry.“We don’t have long to lick our wounds, there’s a quick turnaround here, we’ll see what we can learn from this and try turn it around against Kerry,” said Kelly.However he did have time to reflect on the defeat after the final whistle blew in O’Moore Park.“We were beaten by the better side on the day. They were hungrier, they were onto breaking ball, their touch seemed to be way slicker than ours. Even when we were three points up at half-time, we probably didn’t deserve to be,” he added. Laois manager says his side were beaten by ‘hungrier’ Westmeath RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter After half-time, Laois conceded a goal 37 seconds into the second half. A goal which Kelly says, was a killer.“The goal after half time was an absolute killer. We said inside that if we asked the question, ‘How many fellas played to their potential’, it was very few.”He also credited Westmeath’s performance on the day. “We’re disappointed we lost but we have to give full value to Westmeath. They’re a very good side and we knew that coming in.“Their U-21s were after beating Kilkenny in the last couple years and they gave Tipperary a right rattle last year. They got caught in that league final so they were probably looking for revenge there today and they certainly got it,” said Kelly.Injury concernsOne major injury concern facing Laois ahead of their match against Kerry is the loss of Neil Foyle“Neil probably pulled his hamstring so he’ll be a while. We’ve two games now in two weeks so he’ll find it very, very difficult to get back by then,” said Kelly.However, while he admits that Kerry and Antrim will pose their challenges, he is focusing on turning Laois’s poor performance around.“It’s not going to be easy going with either of them but if we can win the two away ones we can suffer not winning the home one.“We’ve a good bunch of guys there and they’re not happy with the performance either. Maybe we’re not happy with some of things we did so we have to see can we try turn it around,” he added.Laois play Kerry next Sunday, May 13 in Austin Stack Park, Tralee, at 3pm.SEE ALSO – Defeat for Laois in Round 1 of the Joe McDonagh Cup WhatsApp Laois County Council create ‘bigger and better’ disability parking spaces to replace ones occupied for outdoor dining Community Previous articleDeaths in Laois – Sunday, May 6, 2018Next articleJob Alert: This week’s job vacancies in Laois Siun Lennonhttp://heresosiun.blogspot.ie/2016/09/the-lekkie-piccie-experience.htmlSiún Lennon joined LaoisToday in a full-time capacity after studying Journalism and New Media in the University of Limerick. She hails from Rosenallis and her interests vary from news, sports and politics.
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
According to NFL media , Maddox was discharged quickly — “a good sign.” The Eagles confirmed Friday afternoon that Maddox was diagnosed as having a concussion and neck injury, but that he was cleared to return on the team flight to Philadelphia, where he’ll undergo further testing.That’s a positive development to what was a scary situation.With just over a minute remaining, Green Bay tight end Robert Tonyan caught a pass near the goal line. As Maddox tried to wrap up Tonyan for the tackle, Eagles safety Andrew Sendejo came in to assist and his helmet smashed into the side of Maddox’s helmet.Andrew Sendejo lit up his own teammate, Avonte Maddox! Listen to the hit! SHEESH! pic.twitter.com/suv5qrat9q— #BusinessAintBoomin (@ftbeard_17) September 27, 2019Maddox went down and was motionless on the field.Eagles tight end Dallas Goedert, Maddox’s roommate and a close friend, was one of the first teammates to get to him. He practically ran. Goedert called the moment the “worst part about football” ( per NJ.com ).“You never want to see anybody get hurt,” Goedert said. “Especially not one of your best friends.”For several minutes medical staff tended to Maddox and players from both teams knelt on the field, some praying. Eagles cornerback Avonte Maddox, who left Thursday night’s win against the Packers on a stretcher and was taken to the hospital after a violent head-on collision with a teammate, flew home with the team and tweeted Friday morning that “(e)verything is going well,” adding that he appreciated “the prayers and get well wishes.”Maddox had “movement in all extremities,” the team announced but “for precautionary reasons” he was sent to the hospital for further evaluation. Defensive tackle Fletcher Cox said he told Maddox to give a thumbs up to “let his mom know” he was OK.“Once he started moving around we knew he was at least a little good,” teammate Malcolm Jenkins said. “So I was cracking jokes just to make him laugh. He laughed. A lot, actually.”The Eagles, who selected Maddox in the fourth round out of Pitt in last year’s draft, had not offered an official update on Maddox as of midmorning Friday.
Share Adjust Comment Print
CCH Tax Day ReportAn Indiana manufacturer’s protest against an assessment of additional corporate income tax based on an interest addback, throwback sales, and net operating losses (NOLs) was rejected because the taxpayer failed to provide sufficient documentation. The taxpayer was a manufacturer of wire products who sold wire on returnable containers as part of a deposit program. The taxpayer claimed interest expense deductions on the basis of two intercompany loan agreements with the taxpayer’s parent corporation. The Department of Revenue determined that the taxpayer had to addback the interest expense. The taxpayer argued that the loan was an external debt used by the parent company to acquire the taxpayer and that the loan was guaranteed by the taxpayer’s assets and subsidiaries. Thus, the taxpayer claimed it was directly linked to the external debt and it was entitled to the interest expense deductions. The taxpayer presented as evidence book entries for monthly payments, loan agreements and promissory notes. However, the taxpayer failed to demonstrate that the interest rate was determined on the basis of an “arm’s-length relationship” and that it intended to repay the principal amount. Accordingly, the deductions were denied.The taxpayer also argued that its sales to customers in other states should not be subject to the “throwback rule.” The audit found that the taxpayer’s sales of wire and wire products packaged in returnable containers, for which it paid a refundable deposit, were to “throwback states.” The taxpayer did not establish that it sustained a plant or office in those throwback states, that it was subject to income or franchise tax there, or that the containers contributed to income from those states. Accordingly, the taxpayer’s sales to customers from those states were properly treated as “throwback” sales attributable to Indiana.Further, the taxpayer failed to establish that the department’s adjustment of its net operating losses, attributable to the denied interest expenses in prior years and carried forward to years under the audit time frame, were improper. Lastly, the taxpayer did not demonstrate that its actions were reasonable and, therefore, its request for a penalty abatement was denied.Letter of Findings No. 02-20150384, Indiana Department of Revenue, September 28, 2016, ¶402-445
Juventus outcast Mario Mandzukic might turn down an offer from Manchester United to join Qatar club Al Duhail on a lucrative deal. Since the arrival of Maurizio Sarri as coach, Juve have been looking to sell the Croatian to any possible suitor. The 33-year-old has been linked to Man Utd, as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been lacking experience in his options upfront. But the report from the Daily Record suggests he might turn down a move to the Premier League to for a lucrative offer from one of the top dogs in the Qatar Stars League. Al Duhail SC are top of the league and according to the Scottish newspaper they are willing to offer Mandzukic a salary of €7.5m, with Juventus reported to contributing towards the player’s wages. The Juventus striker has been left out of the Champions League squad by Sarri and it looks like his stint in Turin is coming to a close. Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/
India’s Sundaram Ravi was on Thursday inducted into the Elite Panel of International Cricket Council (ICC) Umpires for 2015-2016, commencing from July 1, 2015, following the annual review and selection process.New Zealand’s Chris Gaffaney and Ravi were promoted from the International Panel to the Elite Panel. They replaced Kiwi Billy Bowden and the retiring Steve Davis, the ICC said.”Chris Gaffaney and Sundaram Ravi have been promoted from the Emirates International Panel of ICC Umpires to the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires where they have replaced Billy Bowden and the retiring Steve Davis,” said the release.The Elite Panel of ICC Umpires for 2015-2016 would now feature Aleem Dar, Kumar Dharmasena, Marais Erasmus, Chris Gaffaney, Ian Gould, Richard Illingworth, Richard Kettleborough, Nigel Llong, Sundaram Ravi, Paul Reiffel, Rod Tucker and Bruce Oxenford.Ravi has umpired in six Tests, 24 ODIs and 12 T20Is, since making his international debut in Visakhapatnam in December 2011 in an ODI between India and the West Indies.”I feel honoured and privileged to be selected for the Elite Panel of ICC Umpires and thank the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for its support and the ICC for providing this opportunity,” said Ravi.”I have always enjoyed the company of those umpires already on the elite panel and now I have the chance to work with them all on a more regular basis. I am really looking forward to the challenges ahead and aim to maintain a high standard of umpiring,” Ravi added.BCCI also congratulated Ravi on his promotion.advertisementGaffaney, who officiated in his first first-class match in 2005, made his international umpiring debut in Toronto in September 2010 in an One Day-International between Canada and Ireland, and has to date umpired in two Tests, 41 ODIs and 15 T20Is.Both the officials also umpired in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 earlier this year in Australia and New Zealand.Gaffaney, who also played 83 first-class matches as an Otago opener, was delighted with the news. “I am thrilled to be promoted to the elite panel as it has to be the aim of every umpire to be appointed to this select group.”I have a number of people to thank, especially those who have assisted from the very beginning of my umpire career, and will be doing this individually in due course,” the 39-year-old concluded.
Share on LinkedIn Jimmy Anderson Share on Twitter Read more Anderson aims to still be playing Test cricket when Smith’s side look to defend the urn in England next year and will doubtless be included when the squad for the tour of New Zealand in March is named, though others will be more nervous. James Vince and Mark Stoneman averaged in the mid-20s, while Moeen Ali’s all-round game fell apart and Stuart Broad’s 11 wickets across the series raised questions about his longevity.“All the guys in the dressing room are hurting as much as I am,” Anderson said. “That feeling you get should make you want to win the Ashes back in 2019. I’m going to do everything I can to be available for that series. I don’t pick the team, I can’t say I’m definitely going to be there but I’m still as hungry as ever. I’d really like to be around in 2019.”England doubtless suffered from the loss of Ben Stokes but, though the tour was dogged by some trivial off-field distractions amplified by the shadow of the all-rounder’s suspension, Anderson pushed back at the suggestion it affected their cricket.He said: “It’s no secret he’s one of the best all-rounders in the world and on his day as good as anyone with bat and ball. We miss a player like that. I hope he’s back very soon but from our point of view, it’s not affected the way we’ve gone about our business. The off-field stuff has had no impact whatsoever. Once we get to the ground, that’s what we’re focused on.” The Ashes Jimmy Anderson, deputising for a stricken Joe Root, said the Ashes hammering suffered by England should not result in a major overhaul of the coaching staff but rather individuals within the team must learn to cope better with the pressure of Test cricket.The 4-0 series scoreline was wrapped up at 2.15pm on the fifth day in Sydney when Anderson was out to Josh Hazlewood for defeat by an innings and 123 runs, with Root, asleep in the dressing room because of viral gastroenteritis, unable to resume his innings of 58 not out. Ashes 2017-18: Australia v England, fifth Test, day five – as it happened … we have a small favour to ask. More people, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we made the choice to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We hope you will consider supporting us today. We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Share on Facebook Topics Ashes 2017-18 Share on Pinterest Australia cricket team Joe Root Steve Smith England cricket team The England captain, who had spent the morning in hospital with severe dehydration, vomiting and diarrhoea following the extreme heat on day four, batted for an hour before lunch but then failed to emerge in the afternoon, even when Steve Smith was lifting the Ashes urn amid wild celebrations.That left Anderson, the vice-captain, to face the music and offer a defence of the set-up under Trevor Bayliss, whose Test record is 18 defeats to 14 wins with successive 4-0 away defeats following the failed India campaign last winter. The whitewash four years ago prompted regime change but the leading wicket-taker sees it differently this time.“It doesn’t feel like a series where there should be a big upheaval,” said Anderson, who had personally shone in leading an otherwise misfiring bowling attack over the course of the five Tests, with the 35-year-old claiming 17 wickets in unhelpful conditions. “We’ve not been blown away in every game and it doesn’t feel like a completely disastrous series.“We’re hurting and we know we’ve got to improve in many areas. We’ve not dealt with those pressure situations well with bat or ball. That’s been the difference. I don’t think the planning could have been better. It’s just the way we’ve performed.”Tom Harrison, the England and Wales Cricket Board’s chief executive, has already stated there will be no knee-jerk reaction and it is clear the one-day side’s dramatic improvement is in the favour of Bayliss staying as England look to win the World Cup on home soil in 2019. The selection panel, led by James Whitaker, may well be one department under scrutiny, though.Certainly, the numbers do not stack up favourably for England on this tour, likewise the assertion by Anderson it had felt closer than 4-0. Root’s batsmen averaged 29 runs per wicket, compared with 51 by Australia, and his bowlers picked up only 58 wickets – 19 fewer than during the 5-0 defeat in 2013-14 – while failing to claim 20 in a Test. news Ashes: Joe Root’s absence hastens England’s demise as Australia take series 4-0 Share via Email Since you’re here… Share on Messenger Read more Support The Guardian Share on WhatsApp Reuse this content
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Man Utd legend Giggs: Big players turning up for Solskjaerby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United legend Ryan Giggs believes the players are showing what they can do under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.United were in a tough situation when Solskjaer took over for the rest of the season.He has seen them through the past two games with two wins, 5-1 and 3-1 against Cardiff and Huddersfield respectively.And Giggs believes the club’s best players are helping them win games.The Wales boss told MUTV after witnessing a 3-1 victory over Huddersfield: “It was Ole’s first home game, and the positivity that came from Cardiff game, the performance and result and I think everyone was looking forward to the game.”The big players are turning up, Pogba with the goals, David with a great save and Marcus getting better and better each game.”There’s a real positivity around the place and we need that to carry on now going into the Bournemouth game [on Sunday].”
Clyne chose Bournemouth over Cardiff because of ‘great manager’ Howeby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNathaniel Clyne decided to join Bournemouth in order to learn from Eddie Howe.The Liverpool fullback choose to sign with the Cherries over Cardiff City last week, which left Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock extremely frustrated.”Bournemouth have a great manager and that’s what urged me to come here,” Clyne said after Bournemouth’s FA Cup defeat to Brighton at the weekend. “I’ve looked at how Bournemouth play and it’s similar to my style.”On missing football this season, Clyne added: “I’ve gone a whole season and a half without really playing consistent football, which is unusual for me,” the 27-year-old added. “Knowing you’re fit and can go out there and play but constantly not getting selected is a bit disappointing.”I’d rather go out and find another club which would give me the opportunities to play games.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say